March 9, 2015
Servings: Makes About 2 Dozen
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 8 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 12 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter,softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Sanding sugar, in assorted colors
Place all ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; beat until well combined.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat butter, confectioners’ sugar, and salt with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, scraping down side of bowl as necessary. beat in vanilla. Reduce speed to low; add flour, and mix just until combined. Shape into 3/4-inch balls (chill dough if too sticky). Place sanding sugar in shallow bowls. Roll each ball in sanding sugar, and place on parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing 1 inch apart.
- Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until edges are lightly golden, 15 to 18 minutes. Let cookies cool completely on a wire rack. Spread 2 cookies with just enough filling to allow them to stick together.